Fwd: Java packages in Partner archive to be removed on 2012-02-16

FYI...it seems that the removal strategy has changed...

SMK

----- Original message -----
From: "Marc Deslauriers" <marc.deslauriers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ubuntu-security-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:56:29 -0500
Subject: Java packages in Partner archive to be removed on 2012-02-16

The Canonical partner archive currently contains Oracle's Sun Java JDK
packages (sun-java6) for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Ubuntu 10.10 and Ubuntu
11.04.

As of August 24th 2011, we no longer have permission to redistribute new
Java packages as Oracle has retired the “Operating System Distributor
License for Java” [1][2].

In accordance with our previous announcement [3][4], we will be removing
the Sun JDK packages from the partner archive on February 16th 2012.
In order to prevent unexpected failures, we will not be pushing out
empty
packages before removing them from the archive.

The Sun JDK packages will remain installed on current systems with no
further security updates. On new systems, it will no longer be possible
install the packages from the partner archive. Sun Java 6 Users are
encouraged to migrate to an alternative solution as specified in the
wiki [3].

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and thank you for
your
understanding.

[1] - http://jdk-distros.java.net/
[2] - http://robilad.livejournal.com/90792.html