2013-06-01 -- Kicking Off Hurricane Season

Greetings from Ashtabula.

Hurricane season kicks off Saturday.  We have this happen annually.  I do ask that members of our Local Community Team please take the following FEMA Emergency Management Institute Course:

IS-7: A Citizen's Guide to Disaster Assistance
http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/courseOverview.aspx?code=IS-7

This will help you gain an appreciation for how the disaster assistance system works.  This is a free course and there is a test at the end you can take that leads to a completion certificate.  I have already completed this class and note that it can be completed at your own pace.

Hurricane season is typically a gamble.  Some years are quiet.  Some years are horrific such as when we see events like Hurricane Katrina and "Superstorm" Sandy.  If things happen, we will see requests for assistance erupt.  Knowing how the incident management systems of our country work will help ensure that if we are somehow able to come to the aid of anyone potentially impacted in the coming season.

The completion certificate after you pass the test comes as a PDF file.  I would ask that you save that.  If you do not already have a profile on wiki.ubuntu.com I would urge you to start building such and use this as a starting point for "Training & Development" you've undertaken.  For those interested in starting down the road to being an *Ubuntu Member*, consider this an easy first step as we get started with that initiative during this cycle.

Metaphorically speaking, two birds with one stone...

Stephen Michael Kellat
Leader & Point of Contact