Subject: Preparing for the Video Chat meeting on 23 January 2014
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 03:09:43 -0500
From: Bob Jonkman <bjonkman@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Ubuntu Canada Guelph Chapter <ubuntu-ca-guelph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Ubuntu Canada London Chapter <ubuntu-ca-london@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Ubuntu Canada Waterloo Chapter
<ubuntu-waterloo-region@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, The Canadian Ubuntu Users
Community <ubuntu-ca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
monctonlug-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,  Mississauga LUG
CC: Ubuntu local community team (LoCo) contacts
<loco-contacts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Happy New Year Everybodeee!

At the last IRC meeting in November we came up with the idea to try a
Video Chat[1] for our next meeting on Thursday, 23 January 2014.

But what video chat software should we use?

The Ubuntu Developer Summit meetings use Google Hangouts. But that's not
FAIF software, and requires people to have a Google Plus account.

José Antonio Rey (LoCo Council member from Peru!) and I tried to video
chat over the open standards XMPProtocol (I used the Jitsi application
from https://jitsi.org/; don't know what José used). We could see each
other, but didn't get sound to work. But given a bit more time, that
could be fixed. The Jitsi demo of a video chat looks pretty impressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-YGw3bgB_s

There's the open source Big Blue Button http://bigbluebutton.org/
although that looks like it's intended for a classroom more than a video
chat.

And, of course, there's Skype and Facebook, but both of those are
non-FAIF and require accounts on their services.

Skype: http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-linux/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/videocalling

So, over the next week let me know what your preferred video chat
software is. I'll tally up the results next Friday (10 January).

1st choice = 3 points
2nd choice = 2 points
3rd choice = 1 point

Choose from:
  Google Hangouts
  XMPP (Jitsi, Pidgin, Empathy, & other apps should interoperate)
  Big Blue Button
  Skype
  Facebook Video Calling

Once we've picked the  video chat software maybe the local chapters
could hold an Ubuntu Hour. That would give people a chance to iron out
any kinks with the software.

We can discuss the video chat on the Ubuntu-ca mailing list. The list is
a great place to ask for help if you can't get your webcam or microphone
working, or need help installing software. If you're not already on the
Ubuntu-ca mailing list you can join at

I'm sending this message to several Ubuntu chapter mailing lists as well
as the Launchpad Ubuntu-ca membership, so please pardon me if you should
get this multiple times.

See you all online!
--Bob, who wonders if Chat Roulette is still a thing...

[1] "ACTION: Schedule a video chat for Ubuntu Canada"
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanadianTeam/Meetings/2013/2013-11-28#line-48