[Question #76617]: How to set up home dir encryption?

I'm having problems setting up encrypted home directories using EncFS on Ubuntu 9.04.
I've tried following the notes found in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FolderEncryption but there are a few issues I haven't been able to solve. The following configuration tasks have been done:

- installed encfs and libpam-encfs packages
- configured /etc/pam.d/common-auth
- created a user and set up an encrypted home directory

Logging in to the system with the user with the encrypted home dir works but the screen doesn't unlock once it gets locked. When the password is entered in the dialog I see a message saying "Checking ..." and then there's a very long pause until the dialog asks the password again. Another issue is that I can't get Update Manager to work. Update manager asks the admin password but after that nothing happens.

Has anyone successfully configured encrypted home directories with EncFS on Jaunty?