[Question #76624]: Two network cards results in no networking, fresh install

Description changed to:
Networking/Install Problem: Using 8.04.2 Server, across multiple
machines, same result = with two NICs installed, I can recieve DHCP, and
then receive ONE echo-reply from ping to any given ip address (even
multiple ip's in a row), at which point I experience no further network
traffic (except for a single echo-reply from any untried IP).

Every install done on machine with two nic's has the same result.
Removing secondary NIC solves problem, but I now have a condition that I
NEED the secondary NIC. This is going to be a production environment
machine, any help would be appreciated.

*NEW INFORMATION*
For the first time since noticing these problems I tried pinging another Ubuntu Linux machine.  I get consistent replies from another Ubuntu Linux machine AND from a Barracuda Spam firewall (which, as I recall, runs on Linux), but still only ONE ping reply from Cisco firewalls and Windows machines.

Again, this ONLY happens on Ubuntu machines with TWO NICs.  This does
NOT happen on exactly the same hardware with only ONE NIC.  I of course
have tried moving the network cable around to verify I was on the
correct NIC.  And this new information proves that I AM on the right
NIC, just receiving very strange results.

**EDIT**
Slight correction, after letting it ping for a while the unit will eventually starting getting replies from the Windows and Cisco boxes, still not sure what the two NICs have to do with the whole thing, will continue investigating.