Re: [Question #76654]: gdm refuses to start

baddison gave more information on the question:
To my knowledge it hasn't had any hard knocks but I have had this laptop
for about 4 years and I'm sure it has been bumped around a few times
(this summer I have taken it to my research lab almost everyday so maybe
while carrying it my backpack?).  I do have an external hard drive but
I'm not sure how to back up Ubuntu since I can't see the partisan Ubuntu
is on in Windows Vista.  Just let me know how to get the data off of
that partisan, or maybe better yet back up the whole hard drive (I
should have enough space on my external) and then I will take it to a
computer hardware store.  How much do you think it will cost me to take
it to a computer place and have them look at my hardware (hopefully not
$100 or more since my laptop is not worth that much anymore)?

Thanks