[Question #76878]: Broadcomm BCM4306 (v02) not enabled on Dell Latitude X300

Hi all,

I'm a Linux newbie and have installed Ubuntu 9.4 (Jauty Jackalope, where do they find those names?) and find it much better than what people said... except for the Wifi driver of my old Dell Latitude X300 with a Broadcom BCM4306 (v2) mini-PCI card.

I've followed the steps in this post
and tried to install the drivers using the bcm43xx-fwcutter as depicted on the blog linked from this page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsBroadcom#miniPCI
and
http://davidwatson.org/2007/05/broadcom-4306-on-feisty-fawn.html

What seems to happen is that the PCI Wireless adapter is not enabled (yes, I've tried Fn+F2), as the command 'sudo lshw -C network shows:
- my Broadcomm adapter is found as 'network:0' under the logical name 'wlan0'
- when I enter the command 'lshw -C network', it says '*-network:0 DISABLED'
- when I insert a PCMCIA WiFi card (unfortunately it's one of the very first ones and doesn't seem to support WEP encryption), I can "see" the WiFi networks in the neighbourhood but when it's not present the 'Wireless Networks' option in the networking tray icon is greyed out.

That's why the only think I can work out as a cause is that there's a software switch for wireless that's off, because Ubuntu recognises the card but can't use it.

Thought anyone?