Re: [Question #76749]: Eth0 not recognised

Question #76749 on gnome-nettool in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-nettool/+question/76749

Al Butler proposed the following answer:
Okay before you do these steps just remember that if you remove network-
manager and this fails you will have no network connection. If that
happens change the interfaces file just to have eth0 configured and you
should be able to re-install network-manager via connection on ethernet
cable.

To remove network manager:

sudo apt-get remove network-manager
sudo apt-get remove network-manager-gnome

Now edit your /etc/network/interfaces to look like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid YourWirelessSSID

Let me know if that works for you. If it does I can let you know how to setup encryption also.
If this fails and you need to reinstall network-manager:

sudo apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome.