Re: [Question #6719]: SOS: I can connect to internet but cannot update or add new software from universe

Manu Arya posted a new comment:
Please Try it

Hi, with the help of many others I've been able to fix this problem for good.
First bring up a terminal (shell prompt) with something like "Konsole" found under "System Tools" in the applications bar. Second, completely purge anon-proxy with the following command:

sudo apt-get purge anon-proxy
<AND ENTER YOUR PASSWORD>

(The above command works on my Ubuntu 7.10 OS)
(OR if you are running a system that does not do the sudo thing type the following:

su
<ENTER YOUR ROOT PASSWORD>
apt-get purge anon-proxy

PART TWO

Then type the following:

export HTTP_PROXY=
export http_proxy=

<and you are done!>

Note: To save yourself trouble like this simply don't install anon-
proxy; it just messes things up. Use something like Tor instead if you
need an anonymous proxy route to the Internet. It is located at
http://www.torproject.org or (formerly) http://tor.eff.org. On their
site they also note that you should download the software from their own
site rather than Ubuntu's repositories because the software is the
latest and greatest when retreived from torproject.org rather than the
"universe" or "multiverse" repositories that the Ubuntu people provide.

If this still doesn't work then also try what Movius posted on
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=1209 when he said the
following:

PostPosted: 2007-11-11 13:57 Post subject: Another thing Reply with quote
Another thing you have to do is look with the "ifconfig" if the lo {loopback} is activated,
in affirmative case

gedit /etc/network/interfaces

and then

delete or put a # in the lines to make it like this :

# The loopback network interface
# auto lo
# iface lo inet loopback

Good luck

If you do choose to use Movius' suggestion make sure that you ONLY put
the # sign in front of text; if you delete it and you want to change it
back to what it was you may not remember what used to be printed there.
The number sign (#) simply "comments out" the instructions, so that the
instructions for the computer are translated to be simply notes to the
computer operator rather than actual commands to act on. Following these
instructions will fix your problem. It worked for me. But DO NOT do what
Movius has said to do UNLESS Part One and Part Two combined are
unsuccessful. Part#1+Part#2 should work on most every system. Use
Movius' suggestion only if Part#1 and Part#2 do not work for you.

Anyhow, I'm apt-getting away now. Yay! L8r

P.S. Regarding Movius' post: You can replace gedit with whatever text
editor you want. The command runs a text editor which opens the file
/etc/network/interfaces