Re: [Question #78085]: HD not reconized by XP

Tom proposed the following answer:
Ok, i think first thing is to install Ubuntu onto the same drive as Xp in a standard dual-boot as follows
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

For the reasons you have just described i tend to keep my Ubuntu fairly
small, say 15Gb or 25Gb and then keep most of my data on the Windows
side of things.

Note that when you boot up from the Ubuntu Cd you get a choice "Try
Ubutnu without changes to this machine" and choosing that should get you
to a working desktop, we call this a "LiveCd session" and you can
install Ubuntu from there and firefox on the top taskbar should be able
to find your internet connection so you can surf into here from there :)

The LiveCd session also has a Partition Editor that can be used to
reformat the other drive although i would recommend first using the
LiveCd session to copy all your data safely to either Xp or to your new
install of Ubuntu.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)