Re: [Question #78334]: cannot install... keeps locking up ... its been 2 months and I NEED SOME HELP...don't want to go back to Windows

Tom proposed the following answer:
Hi, i am really sorry about all this.

For making Cds for this purpose i find the cheapest "write once" cds that you can only buy in blocks of 10 or more are better than more expensive types, and this guide might be worth a quick skim through to see if there's anything you haven't already tried
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
although the fact you're using InfraRecorder suggests that you know what you're doing anyway.

I suggested trying Wolvix Hunter because it's a good linux to install and get something working quiet quickly if Ubuntu isn't playing ball.  It's a 450Mb download tho so sliTaz at 30Mb might be worth a try if that's difficult
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=wolvix
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=slitaz
SliTaz is a french distro tho so you have to stay reasonably awake when you try booting up with it to change the default language to English.  Either Wolvix Hunter or SliTaz give a splash screen instead of a menu but just pressing enter there gets you through to a LiveCd session.  With Wolvix typing "wolvix copy2ram" at that splash screen means you can take the cd out when you getr to their desktop, with slitaz that's the default anyway.

Both have a whole slew of programs you can use straight from there
including "GnomeBaker" which you might find is able to burn a really
good Ubuntu Cd for you ;)  I think you double-click on the iso when you
find it as most distros can navigate their way through Windows file-
systems.

Since both those distros are so much smaller than a full cd size they
can sometimes be much easier to make decent cds of when fully sized cd
images just aren't working for some as yet unknown reason.

Good luck with whichever one you try, or if you try a different one altogether.  Please let us know how it goes if you get a chance to try out something like this :)
Regards from
Tom :)