Re: [Question #78334]: cannot install... keeps locking up ... its been 2 months and I NEED SOME HELP...don't want to go back to Windows

actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
I'd say 'better is hugely speculative. For exxmple my fileserver runs
Gentoo, it is a P2 333Mhz with 64Mb RAM, Ubuntu is not going to run
massively well on here (well, one with a desktop) and the Gentoo install
has ran for 3 and a bit years without reboot. In this case Gentoo is the
best choice for me and wil be until the system chokes, it runs a backup
every 6 hours to a firewire hard drive so I couldnt care less if it
does. The fact is an OS is a tool for a job so there is no single
"best". Otherwise we would all use it wouldnt we.

You could also try alternatives to Ubuntu like Knoppix / DSL or puppy
that boot well of live CD.Ryanehill, you should check every ISO using
MD5, You should also check every CD you get from shippit and every CD
you burn for Ubuntu using the CD checker. A bad CD will give a bad
install experience.