Re: [Question #78009]: Can't install from CD or from internet downloads

Question #78009 on firefox-3.0 in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+question/78009

Romoda Károly proposed the following answer:
Hi,
I've installed my Firefox v. 3.5 today. I mean, you mey to do next:

The following instructions will install Firefox into your home directory, and only the current user will be able to run it.
1.Download Firefox from the Firefox download page to your home directory, (or copy your file firefox-*.tar.bz2 into your home directory...
2.Open a Terminal and extract the contents of the downloaded file.
cd ~
tar xjf firefox-*.tar.bz2
3.Close older Firefox if it's open.
4.To start the new Firefox, run the firefox script in the firefox folder.
~/firefox/firefox
Firefox should now start. You can then create an icon on your desktop to run this command.
libstdc++5 error
As noted above, you need to install the required libraries for Firefox to work. Many distributions don't include libstdc++5 by default.
"firefox not installed" message or wrong version of Firefox starts
You must start Firefox with the command
~/firefox/firefox
If you try to start Firefox with the command
firefox
it will either start the package-manager-installed version of Firefox or will tell you the program is not installed.
Good luck!