Re: [Question #78441]: I'm getting a low disk message and I haven't done much on my computer

Tom posted a new comment:
Also try synaptic package manager (am i sounding like a fanboy of it
lol) and try the "Settings" menu, so

Settings - Preferences - Files - "Delete downloaded packages after
install"

Also drop that history right down to maybe 2 days and click on the
"Delete Cached Package Files" right now while you are there.  Also empty
your wastebin and get to a command-line and type in

sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get check

Hmmm, and on the top taskbar click on

System - Administration - Computer Janitor

I'm sure that's done the same thing at least three different ways but
each time something slightly different has been done at the same time
and every little helps ;)

Note that while this netbook is quite handy as it is you might find
getting a Usb stick or two makes it even better because you can transfer
files off the machine for storage elsewhere or perhaps get a lead to
network it straight to another machine.  There might also be online
places you can usefully use for temporary storage although Google's
Chrome OS isn't due out until late 2010 - by then you'll be very used to
linux generally tho.

In another question someone was saying they had replaced the entire gnome desktop environment with OpenBox which is quite extreme but it might be worth trying out Xfce instead.  OpenBox is only a Window Manager, not a full DE.  There are a lot of choices but i would stick with gnome until you've had a chance to play around with a few on a pc
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromCD
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
You haven't much room for experimenting on the machine you have there and as you've seen uninstalling 1 thing can sometimes take fairly important stuff with it although you can usually get all of that back again :)

I hope something here helps :)
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)