Re: [Question #78367]: Video players died with upgrade

willy6635 confirmed that the question is solved:
Thanks for your help, Tom. I ended up having to do a full clean install
of 8.04 to get rid of whatever was causing the problem, which I was
never able to actually identify. I suspect it was either a malicious or
corrupted file that is on the mirror from which I downloaded the
upgrade. I think it was the Australian iinet mirror, but can't be sure.
Perhaps somebody could run a checksum over all of the Australian mirrors
for versions 8.10 and 9.04 when they have time as I am certain it came
down with the upgrade.

One final bitch... Could somebody please PLEASE set up the Add/Remove
programs facility to install Java. It's a real bitch for anyone not
familiar with the Ubuntu command line syntax...