Re: [Question #78367]: Video players died with upgrade

Tom posted a new comment:
Hi

Nicely done!! Congrats :))
It's worth running through the
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
worksheet again to sort out the rest of the multimedia because some lines are different between Hardy & Jaunty.

Java is always difficult.  There's so many different parts that all seem to be called "java" but doing quite different things.  I'm going to have to work my way through to the right parts too to play chess online.  Yes it is a nightmare but there doesn't seem to be anything we can really do about that :(  Congrats for working through that! The great thing is that almost any time spent on the command-line is far from wasted as the linux command-line is the same (or almost identical) in all the different linux distros, not just Ubuntu.  So hopefully if you become at all familiar with certain things about it then that will help you deal with other things elsewhere ;)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal
the use of the tab key for autocompleting pathnames and commands is particularly well worth knowing.  Wish me luck!

Thanks and regards from
Tom :)