Re: [Question #78367]: Video players died with upgrade

willy6635 posted a new comment:
One of the proprietary software packages that isn't in any of the
repositories I know of is Skype, but it's a breeze to install because
someone there had the foresight to include a script to automatically
unpack and install the package. All that is required is to right click
the downloaded package, and the top choice offered is the installer. It
would be really sweet if somebody could extract that script and give it
a tweak so it would be available for all .deb packages. One thing I do
know, the installation instructions on the Java website for installing
the jre*.deb package simply doesn't work with Ubuntu.

The Linux terminal needs to go the way of DOS with windows... out with
the trash. For the average user who isn't into writing software, the
terminal is a huge turnoff from what is otherwise a great operating
system. Those who are responsible for developing the various Linux
flavours need to realise that the need to frequently use the terminal
command line to get things done is not what the ordinary Joe wants from
an operating system. Installing software, in particular needs to get as
simple or more so that than the Micro$oft method. One click.

I had no difficulty setting up all the multimedia again. I've been
running Hardy virtually since it came out, but adding the Medibuntu
repository was one of the very first things I did.

Anyway, thanks again and all the best
Bill