Re: [Question #78843]: No desktop in Ubuntu 9.04

Question #78843 on xorg in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/78843

arochester proposed the following answer:
1) You could try adding to your boot line: xforcevesa

This will force X to start using the VESA driver. It is useful for some
notebooks with uncommon video interfaces.  (See "BootOptions" at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions)

2) Only yesterday I can across " PANIC! Screen settings restore" at
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ubuntu-63/panic-screen-settings-
restore-744309/ . I have not tried the suggestion and therefore cannot
vouch for it, but it says:

 "go into a terminal from the login screen (or go into Safe mode from
GRUB) and do rm ~/.config/monitors.xml. It didn't work from the Root
shell Ubuntu gave me, because I had to change to my /home directory
first.

This command deletes the monitors config file and so Ubuntu loads with
its default settings, rather than the cocked-up settings."