Re: [Question #79079]: Speeding up Ubuntu

actionparsnip proposed the following answer:
You have 2 things to do to make thinsg faster.

1) Install ATi video drivers to make your graphics card work for you.
2) http://digg.com/linux_unix/How_to_make_Ubuntu_extremely_fast

Firefox is HORRIFICLY slow nd resources hungry, it takes up a whopping
40% of my 1.6Ghz CPU + 1Gb DDR2. There are slimmer browsers based on
Gecko and perform much better (Swiftfox, Firepup, Kazehakase etc) which
use a hell of a lot fewer resources.

You can also find a million guides on how to tweak Gecko based browsers
using about:config and allowing more pipelines and prefetching etc. This
can improve the experienced speed also.

The ATi driver will help loats with rendering etc. I suggest you hit
this first.

If you get into hdparm, you can can get more horsepower from better
settings on your hard drive but if you push too far you will strain the
drive and can damage it physically so BEWARE