[Question #79257]: Screen goes dark after Ubuntu splash screen

Hello,

I have just installed the latest version of Ubuntu and am quite new to it. It has only been installed for almost a week, and now I am having a problem.

Whenever I start up the computer, I can see the Ubuntu Splash Screen, but right as it is about to go to the login screen, it goes dark and my monitor says "cannot display this resolution". I have used a different monitor and it too said "out of range". So obviously there is a problem with the resolution.

How can I get into the computer to change the display back to normal?

I have tried the Recovery Mode, but I am new to Linux and have no idea what I am doing.

I also don't know what graphics card I have or if it even has a name. I'm using a whitebox computer (generic, no-name brand).

Can someone help?