Re: [Question #79072]: How to leave the OS on one solid state hardrive and everything else, including packages, to another harddrive.

jbowen7 posted a new comment:
Tom,

In your partitioning setup you only mentioned sda, but what about sdb, the
second hard drive?
I hadn't really thought about it but you're right, it would be wise of me to
have XP and/or Windows7, since I would benefit from being familiar with the
OS that the rest of the world is using.
I've decided to stick with 6 GB of triple channel ram (3x2gb) rather than 8
GB  of dual channel (4x2gb); I believe it will be more efficient. Now as far
as the Swap is concerned, which at 6 GB  of ram I may never use, I realized
that leaving the swap on a SSD partition would be detrimental to that drive
since it would rapidly fill the blocks up, that is if the swap was ever
used.
So there's a new dilemma--will the computer utilize swap if it's on another
drive, say sdb1 or sdb2?
Combining what you suggested with what I said, what do you think about this
setup:
sda= SSD ; sdb=some other Tb drive at 7200 rpm
sda1: 25 gb Primary ext3 for /   ( i figured 25 since my packages/apps will
be here also)
sda2: 15 gb Primary nfts for /    (Xp) (can i use nfts for this partition,
and could would it still be sda3: 15 gb Primary nfts for /
(Windows7)                                                         named /?)
sda3: 5-6 gb primary/extended for /  (another distro)

then,

sdb1 for /home        lots of gb
sdb2 for linuxswap   8.5 gb

Questions:
1) will my media and documents on sdb1 named /home still be accessible by Xp
and windows7 even if it's labeled /home, or would i have to label it
/c:/something/something?
2) Or, would I have to make a-whole-nother partition accessible by windows
and duplicate files to that partition?
3) can I format one partition with ext3 and another with ntfs?