ubuntugis team mailing list archive

Re: Ubuntu-GIS - how to help?

There are a number of developers working on debiangis who have been very encouraging and helpful toward my clumsy ubuntugis efforts. I think many/all of them are subscribed to this ubuntugis email list.

They have also been very good at answering my questions on the debiangis IRC channel, (which they have agreed to share with the ubuntugis team).

So yes, your efforts packaging the java based OpenJUMP would be very helpful for the community, and yes, there are knowledgeable people you can ask questions from who have a track record of being helpful so far.

I look forward to hearing how you go, and will also help where I can.

Landon Blake wrote:
Cameron wrote: "Landon Blake, this might be something you would be
interested in, by packaging Open JUMP?"

This has been on my task list for something like two (2) years. :]

I'd probably be the best one to tackle the task, as I'm using some of
the Java software stack and I am also a fairly experienced user of
Ubuntu and Debian.

Do we have an experienced Deb package maintainer on board? I can start
with the old package for OpenJUMP, but could really use someone to
bounce questions off of.
I know there are also "Java Specific" issues when it comes to
Ubuntu/Debian packages, but I can probably much through these myself.

At any rate, I can put off some other projects to work on an
OpenJUMP/JTS package if it will be of value.

Let me know what our timeline will look like so I can plan to slot some
time for this.

Landon
Office Phone Number: (209) 946-0268
Cell Phone Number: (209) 992-0658