ubuntugnome-artwork team mailing list archive

Re: License of the Artwork

On 31/07/15 05:01, Alfredo Hernández wrote:
> Hey Tim and Ali,
>
> We were talking with the guys at the Artwork Team and we realised we don't have a clear license for the artwork nor the logo.
>
> Our proposal is to use:
>
>   * CC-BY-(NC) for the general artwork (pictograms, wallpapers, etc.)
>   * CC-BY-(NC)-ND for the logo (i.e., the same license but without derivatives, for obvious reasons; whoever wants to use Ubuntu and/or GNOME
>     in their brands needs to talk first with Canonical and GNOME).
>
> Our main issue and reason to write this e-mail is: *is NC (NoCommercial) necessary (or even possible as we are a Ubuntu flavour)?*
The -NC variants are incompatible with the debian dfsg, and are probably best avoided in ubuntu as well. There are  few things in universe using
CC-BY-NC, but largely I suspect that is stuff that could not be re-licensed.

It would seem fine for the general artwork to use CC-BY. I am not sure about the logo (or any brand specific stuff), even CC-BY-ND seems like it
would be too permissive, it doesnt seem right to give out a free pass for people to do whatever they want with our branding. What do the other
flavours do in this regard?

Tim