ubuntugnome-artwork team mailing list archive

Re: One comment to the newest theme in 3.17.90

Hi and thank you for the feedback.

I am the author of the new logo for Ubuntu GNOME and your observation is
quite surprising, because that is something none of us would ever think
about and we had a look at the logo from many angles many times.

Even now when I look at it I see absolutely no reference to neither the
Swastika - that argument I find absurd the least - nor anything that
would relate it in any way to the war crimes of Nazi Germany.

I am short sighted, wearing glasses for many years, but I don't see
anything of what you see and even though I'm born in '83 and am perhaps
more aware of history than most of my generation I simply cannot make
the connections you are describing here.

My point is, everyone has a different perspective on things and it's
humanly impossible to indulge everyone's request. Perhaps some people
from your generation might perceive it that way but generations to come
might not see not even with a slight hint of what you're seeing in it.

When you ask someone from your generation what do they see it in
mentioning to them what you see they will of course agree, because they
will be inclined to see the same.

Also, it's humanly impossible for a designer to keep track of absolutely
every symbol ever invented in human history. That just cannot be done,
as new symbols emerge practically every day, it's as simple as that,
drawing lines on a canvas.

There are thousands of symbols, so I apologize if we cannot indulge
everyone, but we really cannot. Nobody can.

--
Sent using Evolution from Ubuntu

Nothing ruins creativity like too many voices weighing in. We call it
the Ice Cream Principle. Tell 10 people to go get ice cream with one
condition: they all have to agree on one flavour. That flavour is going
to be chocolate or vanilla every time. Groups of people don't agree on
what's cool or interesting, they agree on what's easy to agree on.