ubuntugnome-wiki-docs team mailing list archive

Re: Installation page

On 12/17/2013 05:06 AM, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM, James Vorderbruggen
> <jamesvorder@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jamesvorder@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Hey everyone,
>

> Hello,
>

>         Tonight, I sat down to revise the page at
>     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/Installation , and I stopped
>     because I'm not sure in what direction we should take it.
>
>       *  We could continue using the style that I was, which would
>         mean linking to other information about processes.
>       * The other option we have is to dive into every step of the
>         process in more detail.  We could even include screen shots
>         like on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD (our images
>         would of course be more relevant ;)).
>
>     What does everyone think?  There is of course the option of doing
>     a hybrid of the two.  Whichever we pick though, the page needs to
>     be expanded because this is the point at which a lot of new users
>     get hung up and frustrated.
>
>     Personally, I favor option number two.
>     --
>     James Vorderbruggen
>     /UbuntuGNOME Wiki and Documentation Team/
>     My Wiki <http://wiki.ubuntu.com/jamesvorder>
>

> I'd suggest to keep that page as simple as possible (KISS) and the
> Screenshots are ready since months, it is my personal failure that I
> couldn't steal sometime from other tasks and upload these :(
Don't worry about it :)

> For some users, installing the system is the hardest scary mission for
> them so our job here is to make this as easy, simple and enjoyable as
> possible ;)
I feel the same way.  I've tried to help three people convert in the
last month, and every single one of them has had trouble.  It's creating
the installation media that gets them every time.

> I will do my best to upload the screenshots ASAP or maybe should I
> just forward these to you, James? to review and check which one is
> good and which is not? let me know what you need ... my mind now has
> 1000+1 process to think about :/
If you were to email the list with the pictures, I'm sure that we could
handle them.  Real Life can come first for you ;) I hope that you get
whatever it is sorted out, you seem troubled.

> I should stop my bad habit of opening so many tabs :P
Shouldn't we all...

--
James Vorderbruggen
/UbuntuGNOME Wiki and Documentation Team/
My Wiki <wiki.ubuntu.com/jamesvorder>