ubuntugnome-wiki-docs team mailing list archive

Re: Reminder!

Hi,

First of all, before I reply, please note that whenever I (Ali/amjjawad)
send any email, as long as I am sending it to the 'List' NOT to someone
specific, it means this email is for everyone including myself :) so,
please keep that in mind as long as we work together at the same
team/community :)

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 1:04 AM, Иван Иванов <inivanoff1@xxxxxx> wrote:

> 1. Ali, sorry that I have forgotten to add the new AdvancedHowTo page to
> the Wiki Map, but that totally was out of my mind.

I know you guys forgot to add that, that is why the reminder I sent ;)

> There can't be a mess, because I posted a mail to the mailing list that I
> have added a new page, so everyone was informed. I just forgot to add the
> page in the Wiki Map.

You are right. And thanks a lot because without that email, I would never
know there was a new page and it has to be added.

But, few important points here:
1- I am not saying 'you' or 'anyone' will create a mess.
2- The mess will take place when 'more' than 'one' Wiki Editor create
'more' than one page in a very short time and if he/she will forget to
communicate that, someone else then might come and do the same. In few
months, we will lose control and then, just like Lubuntu Wiki Area for
example, the team will lose track and it would be a massive and super tough
task to list everything on here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/OneStopPage#Ubuntu_GNOME_Wiki_Map

Trust me, that list had been created because I got burned out from Lubuntu
Wiki Page. I had tough time, almost one day or more to do this:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/WikiMap

And guess what? that list is not yet done.
Lubuntu, for some reason I still can't understand, has two areas:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu
and
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu

And the team has lost control over these two areas due to
mis-communications, etc.

The good news is, we are super organized and super helpful to each other.
That makes me think to do everything in the best way ever!

> 2. I don't always add comments, because some changes are really small -
> they refer to typing mistakes, style changes, chaning one or two words,
> bold one or two phrases, etc. While scrolling the pages, I find some small
> details that have to be changed - that's why I login, do this small change
> and save. I use the preview button, but after 5 minutes for example, in my
> mind comes up new change and that's the reason I use the save button. I
> know that there are moments when I make many small changes. But this is all
> done, because I want PERFECTION, too. The Wiki page is a dynamic page now
> and there are edits added frequently. I add comments every time when the
> comment is really useful, when the change is really important to mention.

The best way/approach here, IMHO is to add comment only when you feel you
are done. If there is something else you noticed, you can mark that as
'Trivial' change. The comment is helpful because when someone else will
check the history of that page, he/she will understand very easily what was
going on. I too forget to add comments by the way but whenever there is a
bit of important change, I add comments.

> You are the team leader and I will follow your instructions for adding
> comments every time,

The Team Leader is not a better person or something like that. We are
teammates and this is what does matter. Team work what does matter. More
than titles and stuff :)
You can remind me, I can remind you, this is all about the team ;)

> but you have to be sure that I made many edits at a time, because I want
> every detail to be close to perfect, to be precise, to be accurate. For
> example I can find only one mispelled word or mistaken capital letter and I
> will login to change that.

I know that. Your work speak louder than your words :)

> I am going to add comments every time for my future edits.

Much appreciated :)

Best Regards,