Re: conflict files and confidence

Facundo Batista wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 5:03 PM, alan c <aeclist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> At one stage in the ubuntu one sync uploading processes I did look
>> again at the ubuntu one folder on the test machine and then saw that
>> some of  the folders were at that time labeled as conflict folders.
>
> Oops. We had a known bug that network hiccups can generate conflicts
> while uploading large amount of data. Which client version are you
> using?
>
> This is most probably your situation. OTOH, you may be triggering
> another bug... one good way to see this is to analyse the logs. Better
> yet, if the logs are in DEBUG mode, we could do a full analysis and
> see if the client is in another misbehaviour.
>
> To put the logs in DEBUG mode you can do the following:
>
> 1. stop the syncdaemon client and be sure it's fully stopped ("ps -eaf
> | grep ubuntuone-client" should give you nothing).
>
> 2. put a file named syncdaemon.conf  in your $HOME/.config/ubuntuone
> directory with the following information:
>
> [__main__]
> log_level = DEBUG
>
> 3. restart the client.
>
> Then, just zip you $HOME/.cache/ubuntuone/log/ folder and attach the
> zip in a bug you should open if this happens ever again with an
> updated client.
>

>> I now see that the folders marked conflict are (probably?) the
>> original folders I pasted into Ubuntu One initially. However, the
>> corresponding folders which are not marked conflict, appear to be empty.
>
> Yes, the bug triggers a situation where the client sees that the
> folder should be empty, but as your actual folder *has* data, instead
> of deleting everything it just rename the "original" one to .conflict.
>
> It's safe to move the data inside the conflicted one to the normal one.
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your time and help reporting this.
>
> Remember that if you have any doubt it may be quicker to contact us in
> the #ubuntuone IRC channel, on Freenode. You can ping me directly, my
> nick is facundobatista.

Thanks for the response it is appreciated.
The timescales of things prompted me to change from 9.10 on the
particular machine to try 9.04 partly because I was getting some
freezing of everything except the mouse cursor, and although Ubuntu
One was always in use on that PC too, the machine was unproven for
9.10 anyway.
About a day after install of 9.04 and restarting U1 from scratch, I
think I noticed an U1 update or so, in the updates.  For whatever
reason, the U1 functions in that PC now with 9.04 were subsequently
looking pretty sensible with very businesslike uploading to the web
store  happening and no hiccups to date.

I am sorry I cannot go through the investigations you suggested with
9.10 now, but it will be relatively easy to later install 9.10 there
and look again at a future time on that machine and use the procedures
if appropriate then.

I am not a regular user of IRC, although following the change to 9.04
I did open a session on the channel partly as a test, although it was
a quiet room then, and anyway I was hoping simply that 9.04, or a
timely update, would somehow magically (!) get things working. And
touch wood, so far, they have. :-)

I mostly use these groups and the ubuntu forums, but I will keep IRC
more in mind in future
thanks again
--
alan cocks