Re: New files web ui!

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:16 AM, Martin Albisetti <
martin.albisetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I just wanted to drop a quick email spreading the word that we've just
> rolled out a significant update (rewrite) to the web files page, and I'd
> love some feedback on what you like and what you hate about it.
>
> We're gearing up to the Lucid release, and we still have a few more days to
> polish before the big day.
>
> URL is still the same: https://one.ubuntu.com/files/

Some notes / feedback:
  * It is definitely faster. :-)
  * There is a big separation between the files / folder name and the upload
time and "More" toggle.  I can easily see people missing "More" altogether.
 Would "More" be better to the left of the file / folder name?  I imagine
this separation would be even worse if I had a bigger screen (currently on a
netbook).
  * When clicking on a folder I expect it to expand in place, but instead
I'm taken into the folder.  It took me a while to figure out I needed to use
the bread crumbs at the top to get back to the main folder.  May that is
just me. :-/
  * When clicking on a picture file I would expect to see a preview (or the
actual file in a new tab), but instead it just downloads.  Maybe that is
just a function of Chromium.  I'll test with Firefox as well.
  * I like the mouse-over highlight
  * Any chance we will get more mime type icons?
  * Related to the previous item... it took me a minute to figure out where
the "Shared" folders were.  I still have no idea what the icon is supposed
to represent.  Personally, I'd like to see shared items delineated somehow.

Hope this is helpful and constructive.

- Pete

--
Peter Goodall <peter.goodall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>