Re: How to debug Ubuntu One?

On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 13:52 -0300, Dedeco wrote:
> >> I would like to know more about ways to debug Ubuntu one.
> >>
> >> I have tried it myself on my machine, but it ended up with weird
> >> sympthoms on my whole system. For example, at somepoint I had two Ubuntu
> >> One icons on the messaging panel menu.
> >>
> >> And I would like to use a test account instead of using mine, so I don't
> >> risk losing my personal U1 data. If it is possible to have the debug U1
> >> running is parallel with the installed one.
> >>
> >> If you have any directions of places to go, things to read, or even just
> >> provide some information maybe enough.
> > Hi,
> >
> > You can't run the syncdaemon twice as the same user; or log into
> > different accounts as the same user, as doing so will result in a
> > non-working system, as the first account you logged in to will be
> > the one that owns the files in ~/Ubuntu One/. If you want to log into a
> > different account with Ubuntu One, you should create another user on
> > your computer to connect to that account.
> >
> Thanks, Rodney. That is easy. I can create an user just to that, and
> just switch from one another when I need.
>
> But, for the debugging, how exactly would I run, stop and restart the
> daemon? Just killing it? And how will it affect the non-debug users? If
> I disconnect from each user Ubuntu One interface, will it connect again
> when I restart the daemon? Or is there a daemon running alone for each user?
>
> I think I need more of this kind of information.

To start/stop/connect/disconnect the syncdaemon, you can use u1sdtool in
a terminal:

u1sdtool -s will start it
u1sdtool -q will stop it
u1sdtool -c will connect it (and start if not running)
u1sdtool -d will disconnect it

The daemon will auto-connect, if you have the local user associated to
an Ubuntu One account, and the token exists in the keyring. If the user
has no token in the keyring, syncdaemon will not connect. If you have
two users logged in locally, and only disconnect one of them from Ubuntu
One, the other will not be affected by that. It is not a system-wide
service, but runs on a per-user basis.

You can also run the ubuntuone-syncdaemon in a terminal with --debug to
get more debug information printed to the console, or set the log
level in ~/.config/ubuntuone/logging.conf to DEBUG.

If you are having a problem, and want to debug it, then it's probably
best to file a bug or support request, and join #ubuntuone IRC on the
freenode network, where we can answer questions in real time and help
you more easily than slowly going back and forth in e-mail. :)