ubuntustudio-dev team mailing list archive

Re: non-Unity flavours and Mir

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:23:34AM -0600, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
>    Isn't the worst that could happen is that a user would need to reboot to
>    run a non-Unity session? But I'd hope that LightDM would support Wayland
>    too as I believe KDE and GNOME will be moving to it by default next year.

needing to kill and start a new graphics server is a new requirement
and quite a user-unfriendly one, it would need thinking how to make it
as elegant as possible.

Canonical was going to port LightDM to Wayland but now does not plan
to so someone else would have to do this.  KDE might be interesting
but more likely will switch to SDDM, another inelegant difference in
switching from one desktop environement another.

>    And the flavor community may need to depend on Debian instead of Canonical
>    to maintain X and Wayland?

Yes but Canonical already patches mesa and X to suit Unity making bugs
appear in at least KWin exclusively on Kubuntu, this is likely to
increase.  What if Debian is frozen?

Feel free to take this to ubuntu-devel, I was thinking a vUDS session
would be a good way to start the discussion but probably I was too late for that.

Jonathan