ubuntustudio-dev team mailing list archive

Re: non-Unity flavours and Mir

On May 15, 2013 12:29 PM, "Jonathan Riddell" <jr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> needing to kill and start a new graphics server is a new requirement
> and quite a user-unfriendly one, it would need thinking how to make it
> as elegant as possible.

Yes but that's the worst-case. Ideally LightDM would be the one display
manager that supports *everything*. I mean already GNOME doesn't work as
well without GDM but that's not really Canonical's fault.

> >    And the flavor community may need to depend on Debian instead of
Canonical
> >    to maintain X and Wayland?
>
> Yes but Canonical already patches mesa and X to suit Unity making bugs
> appear in at least KWin exclusively on Kubuntu, this is likely to
> increase.  What if Debian is frozen?

Maybe less patching of X would be needed? Of course past experience tells
us that Qt patching will increase as Ubuntu uses it more.

> Feel free to take this to ubuntu-devel, I was thinking a vUDS session
> would be a good way to start the discussion but probably I was too late
for that.

Sorry I don't have the time now to champion this discussion.

Thanks
Jeremy