Re: Things I have noticed

On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 10:29:22PM +0300, Natan Yellin wrote:
> Even if most Ubuntu users aren't at all tech savvy, you can't annoy the
> small minority which are power users. Those are the people who may decide to
> get involved in development and submit patches, so their opinion is critical
> to your success.

I agree, that is why I said it would be nice to have some sort of advanced
configuration for groovy devs and insane power users (though I just made
fun of LaserJock on IRC for using that term).

> How about, for starters, adding a gconf option to show an X icon on
> notifications. I personally think it makes sense not to have one, but if
> people want one then you should let them have it. (And normal users, who
> you're trying to train to use notifications in a specific way, will never
> turn on the X because they don't even know what gconf is.)

We also need to think of just more than gconf, though that would be fine
for right now as I know we are interested in a shared notification system
for all DEs. As a KDE guy, and probably the reason I like the idea of an
advanced settings feature, it would be nice to get everything to
intermingle beautifully :)

I don't think we should be trying to train anyone to use notifications.
People are going to either use them or not use them, and some may want to
use them, but differently than we or anyone else wants to use them. What I
think would have been pretty neat to try is give users the notifications
for one month, then after that month, remove them. See how the complaints
or complements go.

--
 Name|  Richard JOHNSON
Title|  Developer
  WWW|  http://www.ubuntu.com
Email|  nixternal@xxxxxxxxxx
GnuPG|  9554 2BCC 3AA2 3898 0939  56E7 3EC9 A39D 2E2C 0124