Re: [Fwd: Re: Update manager]

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 5:21 AM, Ryan Prior<ryanprior@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:00 PM, tacone<tacone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> * If I am right, the issue with the orange icon is that not noticeable.
>> * The issue with popups, is they're intrusive. So time limits had to
>> be put on (the once a week limit)
>
> I don't see the popups as intrusive. No information is being sent
> outside the computer. A window is being opened so that you see it,
> because it very important and it absolutely needs your attention. It's
> not as though some foreign entity is intruding upon your computer, and
> it's not as though it interrupts whatever work you're doing.
> Can the folks who find this pop-under to be very intrusive better
> explain precisely what they find intrusive about it?

Is obstrusive a better word ? I find that opening a window without my
consent or intervention obstrusive and annoying.

||  mpt [ https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-notifier/+bug/332945/comments/135
] said:
||  Jamin, to address your three points once more: (1) Yes, it is more
obtrusive, that's entirely deliberate, and I
||  don't know what "study" you're referring to.

By the way, my mail was just to point out a possible solution (which I
notice only now has already been proposed some time ago) round the
edges of the new design, not to discuss the once again the problem.
(but of course we can shall you desire)

> Also, is this in
> violation of the Gnome HIG?

Is it even contemplated by Gnome HIG ? Not in my knowledge.
And even if, do we care ?

Stefano