Re: [Fwd: Re: Update manager]

On 16/06/2009 Ryan Prior wrote:

I don't see the popups as intrusive. No information is being sent
outside the computer. A window is being opened so that you see it,
because it very important and it absolutely needs your attention. It's
not as though some foreign entity is intruding upon your computer, and
it's not as though it interrupts whatever work you're doing.

Can the folks who find this pop-under to be very intrusive better
explain precisely what they find intrusive about it? Also, is this in
violation of the Gnome HIG?

An unrequested popup, and a pop-under in particular, is traditionally considered something that must be fake, because in the www it is used as a spam and fraud device. This is why we have a popup blocker in firefox.

Apart from this, a pop-up is in the middle of alt+tab order, and it is very unprofessional if it pops up while my boss is looking at my pc to see my work. Not that I could not live with it *if* it was absolutely disabled when I am "busy" in FUSA. But still I think that a different way to notify. Even a non-disappearing, dismissable notification, which could then have actions because nobody has to run to select those, would be better than the pop-under because it is very small and does not go to the window list.

Vincenzo