Re: Updates on Login

Alex Launi wrote:
>> <blur and wiggle dream sequence style scene change>
>
> It's Tuesday morning, you get up and turn on your computer. Whilst you
> were fast asleep dreaming of sugar plums and sexy librarians Ubuntu
> packagers were hard at work packaging updates for your favourite
> operating system. Now that it's morning, these updates are available,
> for you! You boot up and arrive at the slick new GDM. But what's this
> message?
>
> "New updates available! Click here to install"
>
> Some days you're very busy, and need your computer right away so you
> chose to ignore them and log right in.

> What gave you this impression? This is absolutely not the case. If you
> reread my scenario, you'll see that potentially all you do at login is
> authorize the updates (in the non-reboot case).

> We have already taken the user's password/username, they're effectively
> logged in, just not to their normal desktop session. We can connect to a
> network by this point.

Your scenario is at the GDM.
You state that the the updates notification arrives just at the login!
Which cannot happen.
The usual secure wireless connection takes atleast about 10-15 sec to
connect... after which the system has to check for updates... which will
take atleast 1-2mins...

If the user is not connected then the updates cannot be notified at the
GDM at all!

After the user is connected and he receives the updates notification
only after a few minutes of starting up.... after which the downloads
need to start which takes time again!

If the user has to browse, either the user has to wait for the system to
finish or if prompted to reboot again the user reboots just within
10-15mins of startup! which is a hindrance to workflow even the the
start of the work!

which is why update installation is not done at startups!

This concept has a lot more flaws, but i dont want to express them all
since i dont see it gathering any support.

AFAIK, i dont want to spend time initially for updates... But rather get
on with my work and do my updates only when I'm free.

cheers,
mac_v