Re: Updates on Login

Alex Launi wrote:

> We know we have updates before we get to gdm, during the previous
> session we checked and found updates, we took note of this state but
> wait to take any action until next gdm.

First of all you painted a story saying:
devs had update ready in the night and the user got the update in the
morning! That is misleading !

BUT assuming that the update state was checked before:
1: Why wait? What is the advantage in deferring the update?
2: Why defer a security update to the next boot?
3: What about users who do not shutdown the systems? no updates for them?
4: What if the [non-security]update to a program is deferred to the next
boot and the program crashes, causing work loss?

If the propsal for the above is that the system waits [x hrs/days]
before reminding the user of the update.
5: what is the use of having updates scheduled for boot?
6: what is the acceptable time limit to defer an update?[the update may
be critical to the program the user needs, which has been crashing,
would the user want this update immediately?]

> You DO get on with your work, you just start the update process first,
> and then move on.

What you need to remember is that work may involve net browsing, so
speeds are hampered during the work. The user might mot have planned on
using the net , but needs to browse for research , so his only option is
to cancel the on going update?

 also if the user is allowed to work and it prompts for reboot, isnt
that a break in work flow? he may choose to do it later , but the main
purpose of the proposal does not achieve its goal .

cheers,
mac_v