Re: Updates on Login (was: Re: [Fwd: Update manager])

> We should definitely consider as many update scenarios as possible in order
> to find the one that users will prefer. We are very quick to start
> implementing updates and shut down without considering something radically
> different because many of us have experiences updates at shutdown when using
> Windows. Neither solution is perfect, both have their merits, and this is
> the perfect place to discuss them.

May I ask which merits may the Updates-at-login-time have ?

It's not that Windows is perfect, but some times there's a rationale
behind the choices done by it. (and, btw, I hated the way Windows
tried to trick you into upgrading at shutdown)

The drawbacks of updates in GDM are many:
- some people auto login, they won't see anything (not big issue, but
also not nice)
- perceived bigger lag between power on  and operability (due to the
need to perform a choice)
- being reminded to reboot right after having just powered on is not nice.
- increased delta with Gnome and possible loss of compatibility with
existing GDM themes
- increases the workload startup (while the updates are being
performed), in a timeframe when there's already load (as the gnome
desktop is loading, and the first applications you'll launch will
load).

I don't think we really need to "think different" at all costs.

Stefano