Re: System / hardware indicator

> Ted Gould has been a proponent of a system / hardware indicator, and
> I've been working on how to handle things like USB-unmount and
> Bluetooth-connect and am coming round to the idea. What do you guys
> think? If there's support for the idea, we could do a round of design
> work and present it here for more detailed discussion.

I think this would have a strong potential to be useful.  Shortly before
UDS, I looked through the systray and sytray like items I had and
concluded I'd like to see most of the system/hardware icons abstracted
away into something that would let me know when I'm required to care:

http://www.kitterman.org/ScottK/2009/05/system_indicator.html

It also got pointed out to me that I can do a lot of this in KDE 4.3
already with the new systray protocol:

http://www.kitterman.org/ScottK/2009/05/kde_43_new_systray_and_system.html

I'm sure with some actual design and dedicated system/hardware indicator
we could do better than the base system.

Scott K