Re: What most people would find useful

The more I think about it, the more I think that automatic updates for
*security* problems should be default option.  I have to admit that
most of my "regular" friends and family members do know what to do
with the list presented by update-manager (or windows update
notification).

I would suggest an extra screen in Ubiquity about updates. It is an
important matter and deserves its own screen. It should present the
option of automatic updates for security problems selected by default
together with a text explaining that they are probably a good idea,
but also warning the user that it implies downloads and installation
in the background. It should point out that this might not be a very
good idea for very slow connections or for users that need strict
control on the amount downloaded (due to download costs for example).
The main reason for a separate window for this option is that the
window would have enough space to explain the advantages and possible
drawbacks of such default option.

It would be nice if the system presents bubbles (or more permanent
notifications) saying that is is starting a download and another one
after that saying that is installing the packages. After the upgrade a
bubble should appear to say that the system is up to date and some
kind of permanent reminder needs stick asking for user actions like
restart the system or restart firefox. As I already suggested, I
believe that indicator-applet is the right place for this. I would
suggest that reboot reminders should also appear in the following
situations: at gdm screen, at logout/shutdown/lock screen, and after
the desktop is left with a long period of inactivity.

It should also try to use the Internet only when the user is not using
it for a while as mac_v said windows does.

Note that I only think that the above behavior is OK for *critical
security* upgrades, not regular upgrades. Regular upgrades should be
off by default.

And finally: it should be easy to turn off any automatic upgrades at any time.

Paulo