Re: What most people would find useful

Jonathan Marsden wrote:
>  would your
> proverbial grandmother have been similarly helped by such a list?

what I'm trying to say is...

Atleast they would know / remember that the last thing they did was an
update,
And when asking for help,
 they can say "my system was working before the update, now its not
working" ... so atleast help could be directed in the right direction,

Or if the person is a bit more adventurous , can themselves search for
the error...

 But If they did not know that the system was updated , all they will
say is "my system suddenly stopped working" , which makes it even more
difficult for them to ask for help or to search for a solution...

If updates are not silent its like the person is in a closed room with
several doors,
But if it is silent,*it is basically putting them in a pitch black room*
 and asking them to grope their way out..! It just makes things tougher!

> However, IMO if
> updates are truly that risky, that is in itself a significant problem
> which needs to be addressed (if it exists, then that is a significant
> Ubuntu usability problem)!

Updates not only in Ubuntu, in all OS *CAN* cause problems....
Even in Windows when SP3 was released[which was mostly a collection of
previous updates + a few extras] , there were several who complained of
problems... Even M$ isnt able to guarantee safe updates!

Cheers,
mac_v