New Project Idea- Revamp to the Multisync (Opensync) gui

Hello all,

One of the major struggles I've had over the years as I've attempted to
switch from Mac OS X to Ubuntu for daily computing was the lack of a good
Sync Solution.  Now that I use Nokia phones relying on SyncML, and Opensync
has been working diligently to support as many sync options as possible, I
find the solution much, much better.

What has been bothering me lately, however, is the lack of a decent GUI to
perform these tasks.  With the release of the Palm Pre, I think it is fair
to say that the days of packaging Ubuntu's Desktop with Gnome-Pilot is
getting a little old.  I suggest having a sync solution and gui that by
default will support SyncML, and whatever else the community is willing to
make inter-operable.

Multisync-gui, is the current gui available for Opensync.  It isn't very
good.  Not that it does not get the job done, because it will.  However,
what has happened is for an end user that has a cool phone, and wants to
sync it in evolution, or with Google Contacts, or Thunderbird,
whatever...the interface stinks.  There is no way, for example, to remove
one device from a sync group without removing that entire group, losing
settings, etc.

This is somewhere that Linux as a desktop competitor is lacking.  I am not
sure if you all are interested in revamping this gui, because although I
have an idea of how it should look and function, I'm afraid I lack most of
the skills necessary to make these changes alone.  I realize more and more
is moving toward the cloud, however, Evolution is by default packaged for
the distribution, it contains basic PIM apps, and we should have a way to
connect the users pdas/smartphones to this default application.

I have spoken to David Siegel, and he suggested that I start a thread, and a
Launchpad project, so I have.  I have tried contacting OpenSync's devs 3
times now, and have not gotten a response.  In a way, I understand, they are
coding to make that backend stable, and really may not have much concern
about a user that is interested in the gui.  I am, however, and would like
to generate some community support to work on this project.

I urge all of you, if you the time, to install multisync-gui through
Synaptic, and take a look at what the current gui a user must use to
accomplish a sync.

I don't know how to upload mockups directly to the Launchpad project,
perhaps I need a wiki or something.  I am very interested in helping
coordinate a project like this and would love input from you all.

I have attached a *very rough mockup of what this gui *could look like.
Please keep in mind I am neither a programmer or designer, and this was my
3rd time using Gimp EVER...please be kind :)  The gradients, etc...were just
for looks- any changes or ideas are welcome!

I look forward to your responses,
Anthony M.