Re: Ubuntu User Experience Guidelines

On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 10:31 +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 10:32 +0800, Allan Caeg wrote:
>
> > The Ubuntu User Experience is aimed to be usable, helpful, unobtrusive,
> > evolving, stable, powerful beautiful, simple, consistent, customizeable,
> > and warm.
>
> Usable by whom in what context, measured by what metrics?

Usable by Ubuntu's target audience. I think, we know who the target
audience is ;) What standard? Determining it would be the next action if
we agree that it is important (in case it hasn't been acted on yet,
which I doubt)
> Beautiful? While you might sometimes see a majority of people agreeing
> regarding beauty, especially on a more general level, opinions tend to
> vary a lot. "Beautiful" lacks any kind of definition that would allow
> one to act based on it.

It doesn't mean that we shouldn't value it, right? Again, determining
the standards to measure it and working to achieve it is the next action
once we agree that it should be included in the set of principles or
manifest (in case it hasn't been done yet, which I doubt again)
> Simple and consistent are not always good. They sometimes have a cost.

What do you suggest, then?
> <snip>
>
> This reads more like a manifest, not guidelines. It's overly idealistic
> and vague. I don't see anything that would cause anyone to act
> differently, as the underlying ideals/goals are already known.

How would it be better if it is called a "manifest" instead of a set of
principles? If it is more fit, let's call it a manifest. As for
idealism, I think, sabdfl is looking at the same height. What more
realistic goals can you suggest?

As for vagueness, this list is very much incomplete and my judgement
tells me that expounding on each principle would be the next action once
we agree that these are the right principles to include. What can you
suggest to reduce the vagueness?

I think, defining a set of UX principles would be very beneficial for
developers, designers, and other members of the community. Refering to
them would remind them that there are considerations that they should
always keep in mind. My background in Industrial/Organizational
Psychology and the lessons I learned from Stephen Covey's work tells me
that organizations need to clearly define goals because its members
rarely share the exact vision. If my judgement is wrong, please tell me
why.

Best regards,
Allan