Re: Ubuntu User Experience Guidelines

On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 21:22 +0800, Allan Caeg wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. That reminded me of the new feature of
> notify-osd that hides it under a window that is set fullscreen. That's
> just a side effect of the bug fix for flickering windows but it's also a
> good example of being unobtrusive because it avoids disturbing the user
> who is focusing on the "fullscreened" window :)

Unobtrusive doesnt have to mean that it is helpful!

The other day , i was watching a movie and the sound of an IM ping got
drowned in the movie's noise , and didnt notice the IM until the movie
was over! And by then the person who had sent the IM was offline.

For me, if a person sends me an IM , IM *is* more important than the
movie and i do want to be notified immediately.

If the issue is about presentations.. suppressing the bubbles during an
OOo might be better... now it suppressed the bubbles even when using
picture slideshows!

For now , a workaround i do while watching movies , is to *not* use
fullscreen. But rather use a Maximized window!
This is *very* frustrating , not being able to even watch a movie
peacefully!

For my user scenario... unobtrusive = frustrating = unproductive !

Though i agree that a personal message during a presentation would be
embarrassing...
What would be the chances of that happening compared to a person missing
an IM notification while watching a movie!
[most folks dont turn on the im clients during presentations , this
embarrassment problem would be more when a person is using a laptop and
has im client running
While this 'fix' this would affect both desktop and laptop users and
most definitely a larger user base ]

It has already been pointed out on the mailing list, several times here
that now all fullscreen means that user doesnt want to be disturbed!

There have been other who said that they use firefox in fullscreen
mode... so how does fit with being unobtrusive!

One size doesnt fit all!

--
mac_v