Re: Question about Bug Reporting Tools in Ubuntu, from a design perspective...

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> These are *awesome* ideas, Alex.

Thank you Mark, I really appreciate it.

> Alex Lourie wrote:
>
>  I think that I am going different route than intended, but should such
> integration end with bug submissions? What about asking questions with sort
> of a GUI interface to Launchpad Answers directly without a browser?
>
> Ideally, LP would be integrated straight into your IDE. So bugs, branches,
> answers, blueprints could all be referenced and managed from within the IDE.
> "Make a new branch to fix that bug", "Submit this branch for review", "Merge
> this branch into that one" could all be driven directly from inside the IDE.

While this would be a sort of heaven on Earth to see this in an IDE, I think
that Answers are still much more user-oriented, than developers oriented.

I imagine this as something in lines of:
I click on some sort of "Ask a question" icon/button/link, and get a very
simple dialog, where I put a subject and the message, and press "Ask!"
button. When answer is provided on LP, I'd get notification from indicator
applet, just as I would for IM message or for twitter or identica.

> Any Eclipse guys in the audience?
>

>   How about my launchpad account would be a Jabber account as well? So I
> could "chat" with any other Launchpad user using Empathy and already
> configured user/password?
>
> This is coming. Ubuntu One uses LP accounts for its backend "identity", so
> you will be able to chat out of the box with anyone else who uses LP or U1
> (or any other service which uses that for OpenID).

Awesome!

 How about my launchpad account would be a StatusNet account as well and I
could participate in real time communications over Launchpad?

Very cool!

>   It would be also interesting, for example, if I could get notification
> that a bug I've been subscribed to is closed, without hitting the browser.
>

> Even cooler :-)
>
> Mark

Great! It should be very interesting to see such an integration with the
desktop.

Alex.