Re: Collaborative design dilemma

I understand that users do not always consider all facets of why or why not
something is good design.

I also understand that a design team exists by Canonical and there's a
difference between "I want notifications in the middle of my screen cause
that's where I see it best." vs. valid input that gets the Ayatana (hired
group) moving on a crippled area in Ubuntu in terms of usefulness or
usability.

That said, I'm a grad student studying IS and I love reading professionals
working on such awesome things.  I also like to *think that my voice is
heard.

I used to comment a lot more in these threads.  Then one day I realized that
I don't need to, I just comment when I have something valid and helpful from
the perspective I can offer; what I was doing before was clogging up the
thread with little benefit to those that actually work on this stuff.  Maybe
not everyone get's that, it took me a couple of weeks.

So for me, I guess I understand both sides.  Canonical, do what you need to
to meet your goals.  Just send me a darn invite :)

In all seriousness, this is the process of going from a grass-roots project
starting and gaining momentum, to a full-blown distro that must make
decisions to keep projects on track and make sure goals are met.

Not at all trying to offend anyone, but drastic decisions in terms of
operations in the community and Ubuntu itself have and will continue to be
made to allow Ubuntu to compete like it does against MS and Apple.

Ah the joys of Open-Source business models.  You can't make everyone happy,
but ask yourself Mark, what is more important (or maybe I should say the
greatest good for the greatest number), making a user happy when Ubuntu is
gorgeous, or allow them to feel validated by interacting with Canonical in a
disruptive manner?

I think you've probably made up your mind :)

I'll always subscribe to whatever you folks allow me to, because I love this
stuff!

Regards,
Anthony