Re: Regarding Notify-OSD's Position in Karmic Koala

I quote Mark from earlier in this list:

There's always a temptation, when two smart and well-meaning people can't
agree, to add an option so they can both get what they want. It "costs
nothing" to add the checkbox, and it creates the illusion of consensus
because "we can each have what we want" which makes it "easy to
collaborate". This dynamic drives a lot of UI - especially in open source,
where the consequence of a refusal to reach a compromise might result in the
loss of a contributor.

But options, choices, checkboxes actually DO cost a lot. My first job was at
a newspaper, and the thing I learned there was that 90% of people will read
the headline, 30% will read the first paragraph, and 1% will read the last
paragraph of any article. Attention is precious. Also, I learned that the
10% of people who do not read the headline are actually skipping the WHOLE
PAGE. Why? Because nothing on the page jumped out of the noise for them.
Every checkbox or option or knob we add, raises the noise level, and
increases the chance that the user disengages completely. Also, every
checkbox or option results in additional code paths, all of which generate
more bugs and require more QA and more tests in the test suite. So, while
"agreeing to add an option" seems like a low-cost way to avoid having to
make a decision, it's an illusory solution. Collaboration is hard, but most
meaningful between people who see the world differently but find a way to
accept the same thing. A checkbox is an attempt to avoid that collaboration,
not a mark of it.

In this initiative, I want us to take a different approach. We will strip
away non-essential decisions from the user experience, at the cost of
flexibility in the final product. For me, that's not a bug, it's a feature,
though I accept that others feel differently. I'd like to build a community
that is aligned with that goal - here on the Ayatana list.

We can now see the "repercussions" of this principal.

The problem is that there is no perfect solution, whether for
technical/design reasons or user opinion.
When users file bugs because they do not like the default behaviour of
notify-osd then the "tough, get used to it" attitude sounds allot like Apple
speaking.

The users need to be given the chance to change how notify-osd works. You
could make it really difficult to change the default settings, but they
should at least be available.

Like Martin Owens, I don't really care about when and where I get notified,
but a lot of people do, and they don't agree.