Re: Regarding Notify-OSD's Position in Karmic Koala

> 2009/10/21 Martin Albisetti <martin.albisetti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

> >> Let's hear what others think.
> >
> > It feels odd to read from the bottom to the top. I played around with moving
> > things on the screen upwards and downwards, and it's easier to follow them
> > as they go down rather than up.

+1

> On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 21:18 +0100, Luke Benstead wrote:
> It's funny you should say that, because this way it mimics the
> behaviour of IM clients such as Empathy and Pidgin (previous text
> scrolls up, the most recent appears at the bottom).
>
> Luke.

When the words scroll while the user is reading in the middle , it
becomes difficult to follow the lines. As the line the user is trying to
read has now moved up. Such scrolling is not ideal for reading text in
transient bubbles.

This is because the new append doesnt add itself line by line[slowly] as
teleprompter do. But rather the full length of the new append is added ,
and the line the user has been reading would have now jumped several
lines above.

In IM clients the text does not disappear , so you can take your time to
catch up with the text.
Try this , try reading text in an irc chat room with heavy traffic,[eg:
#ubuntu]. You'll notice it is not easy to catch up.

What we could do is:
- Place the Async bubbles in the lower right, at a height keeping in
mind the max[10 lines] allowed for append. So the bubble is in the lower
right position but not exactly in the corner. This would make the
bubbles not have a problem of scrolling text.
- Place the sync bubbles to be in the lower center. At the same height
as the async bubbles but centered. [Similar to where the upstream
volume/brightness notifications are placed]

-OR-

- Revert back to the dynamic positioning of the bubbles and place the
bubbles in the lower right at the height assuming for 10 lines of text.

Then again we might get complaints that the bubbles are not exactly in
the corner... ;)

--
Cheers,
mac_v