Re: Regarding Notify-OSD's Position in Karmic Koala

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 09:24 +0100, Luke Benstead wrote:
>  Finally, in the notification bubble we can make the text slide
> up, rather than jump up, and also fiddle with the display time and the
> width of the bubble (so more text fits on a single line).

The width of the bubbles is probably not going to increase >
https://bugs.launchpad.net/notify-osd/+bug/336110

The ideal width has been identified and is being used atm.

With scrolling what we also need to consider are , the accessibility
issues. Not everyone can read at the same speed nor does everyone have
good eye co-ordination.[younger individuals can accommodate easier when
the lines jump,  but with age this becomes difficult... similarly with
folks not fluent with the language , they would find it hard to find the
words they were reading once the lines jump.]

So the smooth scrolling , needs to be slow enough to not allow the lines
to jump and fast enough to not cause the bubbles to stay too long.

This would again need a lot more work/fiddling/testing to identify the
ideal scrolling speed.

As mentioned earlier ,its easy to throw in an idea ;)

> > What we could do is:
> > - Place the Async bubbles in the lower right, at a height keeping in
> > mind the max[10 lines] allowed for append. So the bubble is in the lower
> > right position but not exactly in the corner. This would make the
> > bubbles not have a problem of scrolling text.
> > - Place the sync bubbles to be in the lower center. At the same height
> > as the async bubbles but centered. [Similar to where the upstream
> > volume/brightness notifications are placed]
> >
> > -OR-
> >
> > - Revert back to the dynamic positioning of the bubbles and place the
> > bubbles in the lower right at the height assuming for 10 lines of text.
> >

> > Then again we might get complaints that the bubbles are not exactly in
> > the corner... ;)
> >

> I think either of those solutions could work.

What i had suggested was with minimal tweak to the notify-osd, by just
adjusting the position of the notifications.

> The point of my original
> suggestion was that positioning at the bottom of the screen (where
> there are usually fewer screen elements) should not be ruled out just
> because the async bubbles will extend. I actually think Johan's
> mockups look pretty nice :)
>
> Luke.

The lower position has been suggested earlier too, but it was not used.
*iirc* it was due to the async bubbles, the append feature being tough
to implement when positioned below and making them grow upwards.

I too would like to have such a bubble, if the text scrolls smoothly
without jerks and is readable by all. [it really does sound great, if
done right]   :)

--
Cheers,
mac_v