Re: Application indicators in gnome shell

On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 16:40 -0600, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 00:56 +0000, Shane Fagan wrote:
> > I just wanted to ask about application indicators in gnome shell. The
> > screenshots they have made up may not work with the spec. Here is how
> > they want rhythmbox to look
> > http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/shell/mockups/20090630/05-music-details.png
> > as an application indicator.
> > Can this be done with the application indicator's spec currently?
>
> The issue isn't the application indicator spec, it's the dbusmenu
> implementation.  We simply can't represent menu items that are that
> complex.  It's our goal to get much richer for doing things like
> NetworkManager, but not for Lucid.  The goal for Lucid is to get the
> basic menu items working really well.
>
> 		--Ted

Well would the implementation of the application indicators have to be
revisited for lucid+1 because Shell doesnt have a way to embed things in
its panel like how it is currently? It seems like there is going to be a
split here and id like to stop it from happening. I talked a bit to the
Shell devs and they havent implemented anything yet for this so it would
be good to get some dialogue going to make sure we dont get two
implementations of the same thing. Just a thought. </rant>

Shane