Re: Application indicators in gnome shell

On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 23:01 +0000, Shane Fagan wrote:
> Well would the implementation of the application indicators have to be
> revisited for lucid+1 because Shell doesnt have a way to embed things in
> its panel like how it is currently?

Shell does have a way to embed things in its panel, it is using the
current notification area spec.  That's how they get things like
gnome-power and network-manager into their panel.  Honestly, they're
going to have to move on from that for lots of reasons.

> I talked a bit to the
> Shell devs and they havent implemented anything yet for this so it would
> be good to get some dialogue going to make sure we dont get two
> implementations of the same thing. Just a thought.

When I mentioned on GNOME Desktop Devel list a little while ago they
seemed favorable to the design.  I'm not sure what they're thinking, but
I think it would be great if they'd consider picking it up.  They've
also been discussing the StatusNotification spec on the XDG list.

Obviously the applet code would have to go but that's not a huge portion
of the work.  I don't have time to port it over to GNOME Shell right
now, but I'd be happy to mentor someone who'd like to do that.

		--Ted